Search the dictionary Advanced Search

How to use the Ojibwe People's Dictionary

nimishoomenh nad es

my uncle (parallel uncle: father's brother); my stepfather

Someone's father's brother and their mother's brother are both called uncle in English but in Anishinaabemowin they are called by different words. The father's brother is a parallel uncle; this is also a stepfather. There is no simple independent word for this relative. A personal prefix goes with the dependent noun stem /=mishoomey-/ parallel uncle to make a full word: 
  • nimishoome my uncle (parallel uncle) (1s-3s)
  • gimishoome your uncle (parallel uncle) (2s-3s)
  • omishoomeyan h/ uncle (parallel uncle)
  • [MN] omishoomeyan h/ uncle (parallel uncle) / uncles (parallel uncles) (3s-3')
  • [BL] omishoomeyan h/ uncle (parallel uncle) (3s-3's)
  • [BL] omishoomeya’ h/ uncles (parallel uncles) (3s-3'p)The same words are used for someone's stepfather. 
 Some basic forms of 
nimishoome my uncle (parallel uncle) are: 

nimishoome sg; nimishoomeyag pl; Stem: /=mishoomeny-/

nimishoome sg gh


nimishoomeyag pl es