Search the dictionary Advanced Search

How to use the Ojibwe People's Dictionary

=zhisheny- nad

STEM FOR: uncle (cross-uncle: mother's brother)

Someone's mother's brother and their father's brother are both called uncle in English but in Anishinaabemowin they are called by different words. The mother's brother is a cross-uncle. There is no simple independent word for this relative. A personal prefix goes with a dependent noun stem /=zhisheny-/ uncle (cross-uncle: mother's brother) to make a full word:
  • nizhishenh, inzhishenh, nzhishenh my uncle (cross-uncle) (1s-3s)
  • gizhishenh your uncle (cross-uncle) (2s-3s)
  • ozhishenyan h/ uncle (cross-uncle)
    • [MN] ozhishenyan h/ uncle (cross-uncle)/ uncles (cross-uncles) (3s-3')
    • [BL] ozhishenyan h/ uncle (cross-uncle)r (3s-3's)
    • [BL] ozhishenya' h/ uncles (cross-uncles) (3s-3'p)

Stem: /=zhisheny-/